Saturday, September 5, 2009

Some Breathing Room

Way back at the beginning of June, I dropped off my dress for alterations. This weekend, I went back in to visit my dress, check things out, and identify any other changes that might need to be made over the next two weeks.

They had sent it out for cleaning, taken up the hem just a bit, did the bustle, but had held off on adjusting the bust (which was ginormous!) and replacing the defunct zipper (since it was a sample dress). Waiting until the last minute to replace the zipper meant that if I gained or lost any weight, when she replaces the zipper she can make adjustments to the fit all in one fell swoop.

Thank goodness for that, because despite all the working out that I've been doing, a couple of pounds have decided to plant themselves right on my torso! The dress I could zip myself 3 months ago required me to seek assistance this time around. Eek!

It may look like it fits, but I definitely could not fill my lungs. Let's just say, if I needed to yawn I would have bust a seam! The seamstress encouraged me to workout between now and then. I shared that I DO work out plenty, but we're past that point....just let it out a little and we'll all sleep easier at night!


I made sure the seamstress showed my bridesmaid S how to do the bustle. She'll also show Sister Stiletto when we go for the final fitting/pick up two days before the wedding, but the more the merrier when it comes to actually do it!

I love how the bustle looks, and more than that, how the bustle is done. I've seen a lot of people who just have hooks, and I've seen those bustles completely come undone during receptions. My bustle is constructed of a bunch of numbered white ribbons hidden under the layers. They'll just match up the numbers, double knot the ribbons, and snap one clear snap. Easy and secure, right? I hope so!


And, of course, we had to give a little shout out to my fabulous shoes. Love 'em! Good thing my photographer knows I love a shoot shot or two. These babies will definitely be getting some camera time.


It was great giving my accessories a little trial run as well. The bust of my dress is still a little, err, roomy, so you can't see my necklace. That will be taken in.

Now, the veil....I did have a veil that I'd bought last fall from Etsy. It was a very simple, nice veil, but I've definitely fallen out of love with it. I'd hemmed and hawed about doing a birdcage veil, but didn't know if it was for me.

Well, remember how Mrs. Avocado rocked a fabulous birdcage? She went all sassy and wore it flipped back. So cute! When I found out that she would loan it to me, I was beside myself! We're at the stage in the game where buying anything else is not in the cards. Being able to borrow a birdcage is fabulous. AND this is also my "something borrowed" from a "happily married woman," as the tradition goes. I honestly wasn't sure what I'd be borrowin' for the day, so this was perfect.

Thanks to Mrs. Avocado, I'll be birdcaging it up. I didn't put it on perfect for my fitting - I'd probably wear it a tad lower over my eyes and at more of an angle, but you get the idea. I'm also opting NOT to wear a fascinator. Huge hair flower/feathers/etc are FABULOUS on all of you lovely brides who choose to rock them...but they're just not me. I do have a small flower that I might slip in when I take the veil off, but otherwise I'm going to keep it simple.


I do have one question for you experienced birdcage brides. Mrs. Avocado rolled it up and sent it to me. So I've been working on getting the right shape. She said she steamed it around a volleyball before her wedding. I've secured it around a balloon and kept it in the bathroom during a super-steamy shower. That helped the shape immensely! But is there anything else I can do to help with the shape?

All-in-all, I was a bit bummed that my dress is snugger than I'd like, but it was definitely fun seeing it again! But it felt more like dress up and a lot less real that I'll be rocking my dress in just two weeks. Eeeh!

Did your fitting make you feel like a bride?

0 comments:

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP