Monday, March 9, 2009

Struttin' Up the Aisle...

By choosing music that we love for the wedding day, I like that idea that whenever I hear those certain songs, it will bring me back to the day. While I know that I've been trained over the course of the years to associate "The Wedding March" with weddings and maybe I should want that for walking down the aisle, it's not like I'm going to load it onto my iPod after the fact and listen to it when I'm feeling reminiscent.

So, of course, Mr. S and I are weighing out every single (non-traditional, of course!) music option for the wedding day. We've opted to not use the organ in our church and instead play whatever music will make us smile. But for whatever reason, the recessional is proving to be a struggle. How do you choose a song that is beautiful, meaningful and the right tempo for excitedly strutting up the aisle, and also includes church appropriate lyrics?

We've narrowed it down to I think two strong contenders, but they are so wildy different..

Option #1: Clare & the Reasons "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"


(Scroll through the opening segment...we'd start playing this right when Clare starts singing) Yes, this song may ring a bell. This is a beautiful cover of the 80s classic by Tears for Fears. Mr. S and I saw Clare & the Reasons in concert this winter and I just fell in love with Clare's sweet, melodious voice.

While the lyrics may not be completely wedding-ish, I love that our first step down the aisle would be to Clare crooning "Welcome to your life..." How appropriate? We'll just, err, not focus on some of the other lyrics that I think are about war. I just love how Clare's voice floats, I listen to this song constantly on my iPod and try and envision it on the day. In my mind, it fits and I get giddy when I listen.

Option #2: Jackie Wilson's "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher"


So on the other end of the spectrum, we have Jackie Wilson. Hmm, totally different tempo and feel. A much more upbeat way to celebrate up the aisle. Exciting, fun, dare I say "vintage." But is it very "us"? That I don't know. I'm not a big wave my hands in the air and celebrate type of gal, and I feel like this song would expect me to do so.

What's a girl to do? The Clare & the Reasons song has so much more meaning to me personally - partly because I just love the band and we saw them together, and partly because I've been listening to this non-stop for months after Mr. S and I put it on the list of possibilities (it was actually his idea - I hadn't even considered it). I also want to make sure we integrate our point of view and work in some indy bands where they'll fit.

Thoughts? Ideas? Does anyone have some unique recessionals that might fit the bill?

1 comments:

Unknown March 13, 2009 at 1:28 AM  

I really like the Clara song but I think I would keep (at least part) the intro to give some drama and allow people time to stand and turn. Then start walking down the when she starts singing.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP